Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Book 1 The Beginning Part 1 section 6

6
Mason shifted Peter's dead weight and opened the door to their room. Walking through he made his way to Pete's bed and placed him on top of the covers before running back to where the sparring continued he stopped in front of where Iceheart stood and waited as Iceheart looked at his watch. "Eight minutes means eight laps, get to it," Iceheart said and Mason started off, despite the fact that he had sprinted from the barracks he managed the first four laps easily and he thanked his father having instilled the love of physical exercise into him at a young age. On the last four laps he slowed to jogging pace and it took the rest of the training period to finish.

After training was finished Mason was about to leave the field when Iceheart called him over, he sighed sure that the man was going to berate him for his lousy performance during the second half of his run but when he reached the man's side he saw that he had been wrong. "Yes Sergeant?" he asked. "Do you want something?"

"Let's get something out of the way first," Iceheart said. "I want you to understand that as you drill instructor it's my job to make your life a living nightmare, I bet after the blood you hate my guts, is that right? Tell the truth."

"Yeah I do, I can understand the laps and all but that was harsh," Mason said.

"Good, you've got fire," Iceheart said nodding. "What I called you over here for is so that I could ask you a favour."

"A favour? I just finished saying that I hate you and you ask me a favour?" Mason asked incredulously. "Can't you just order me to do whatever it is?"

"In my capacity as Drill Instructor yes I can but this is outside that," Iceheart said. "It's Peter, you saw what happened to him today and it’s happened a couple of times, all I'm asking is for you to keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn't get hurt."

"I'll do it but not for you," Mason said.

"As long as you do it at all," Iceheart said. "Look you've got two hours before you you've got to go to Dinner so why don't you go and check on him now?"

"Is that an order Sergeant?" Mason asked crossing his arms and glaring at the man.

"A suggestion," Iceheart said. "You're dismissed," he said and Mason walked away, as he left Iceheart again remembered his old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment